What are gamma brainwaves?
Gamma brainwaves are considered the brain’s optimal frequency of functioning. Gamma brainwaves are commonly associated with increased levels of compassion, feelings of happiness, and optimal brain functioning. Gamma brainwaves are associated with a conscious awareness of reality and increased mental abilities. Gamma brainwaves range from the frequency of 38 Hz – 70 Hz and have a tiny (virtually unnoticeable) amplitude. Gamma brainwaves can be found in virtually every part of the brain. They serve as a binding mechanism between all parts of the brain and help to improve memory and perception.
Benefits of increasing gamma brainwaves:
- Boosted memory – High amounts of gamma brainwaves have been associated with a boosted memory and ability to recall past events. The 40 Hz gamma frequency has been associated with a well-regulated memory. If you are currently struggling with maintaining a great, healthy memory, consider increasing your 40 Hz gamma brainwave.
- Enhanced perception of reality – Gamma brainwaves can provide you with an enhanced overall perception of reality and understanding of consciousness. Because gamma brainwaves can be found in virtually every part of the brain, it allows parts of the brain to communicate. Through their communication, your reality and perception is formed.
- Binding of senses – The gamma brainwave is what allows us to experience: smell, touch, vision, taste, and hearing altogether. It allows our brain to process multiple sensations at the same time and allows us to identify environmental forms of stimulation. It also improves our overall perception of our senses by enhancing our levels of focus.
- Increased compassion – Advanced meditation practices and yogic traditions have associated the gamma brainwave frequency range with a pure state of compassion. Richard Davidson hooked long-time meditators up to an E.E.G. at the University of Wisconsin Madison and found that the more meditation experience a person had, a higher amount of gamma brainwave was displayed. Since most people aren’t able to cultivate a pure state of compassion like many monks, they may not ever understand or feel the wonderment of the gamma brainwave range.
- High-level information processing – Gamma brainwaves are associated with high-level information processing in the brain. Basically, the brain is able to operate more efficiently at a higher level. Thoughts are easily processed and the brain is able to easily absorb and understand new information and changes in one’s environment.
- Natural antidepressant – The gamma brainwave is a known natural antidepressant. Not only does it increase our level of compassion for others, it boosts our overall levels of happiness. Many people claim that listening to the gamma brainwave while meditating has proved to be extremely effective at completely eliminating their depression. The gamma brainwave decreases during stress, anxiety, and cases of depression. No wonder that increasing your gamma brainwaves will make you feel much less depressed. In people with depression, the amount of gamma brainwave tends to be much lower than average.
- Advanced learning ability – Since gamma has been associated with a higher level of information processing, quicker thinking, and an enhanced perception of reality, people with high amounts of gamma brainwaves tend to have an advanced learning ability. People with learning disabilities, ADD, and those under a lot of stress, tend to have a significantly smaller amount of the gamma brainwave than others.
- Intelligence (I.Q.) Increase – The gamma brainwave has been associated with higher than average levels of intelligence. People with lower I.Q.’s and learning disabilities tend to have very low amounts of gamma brainwave compared to smarter individuals. Increasing your gamma brainwave, especially 40 Hz, will probably correlate with at least a slight intelligence increase.
- Positive thoughts – Are you a person that always thinks positive and one who has compassion for others? If you already think positively and are relaxed, you probably have high amounts of the gamma brainwave. In people with depression, there is relatively little amounts of the gamma brainwave that can be observed in an E.E.G. If you have depression or are a chronic negative thinker, you may want to really consider naturally increasing your gamma brainwaves.
- Higher energy levels – Higher brainwave frequencies in the beta and gamma brainwave ranges correlate with increased physical and mental energy. Since the gamma brainwave range is among the highest of known brainwave frequencies, it definitely will give your energy level a jolt upwards. If you currently have low amounts of energy, consider increasing your brain’s gamma brainwaves.
- High level of focus – The mind is extremely focused on just one thought while in the gamma brainwave range. It is important to cultivate a high level of focus in order to efficiently complete tasks and succeed in the world. It is very difficult when you have a learning disability or are lacking in focus to be successful. Sustaining a high level of focus can be done easily by increasing the amount of 40 Hz gamma activity in the brain.
- Improved perception / consciousness – Gamma brainwaves have been linked to improved perception of reality and the ability to be aware of one’s consciousness. Gamma brainwaves are very powerful and may feel like quite an awakening to increase if you don’t have much natural gamma activity. Advanced meditators have much more gamma activity than the average person which is why it is easy for them to control and understand their state of consciousness.
Who has high amounts of gamma brainwaves?
- Advanced Meditators – Advanced meditators tend to have a large amount of gamma brainwave activity compared to non-meditators. The amount of gamma brainwave and its amplitude increases as one’s ability to go deeper into meditation increases. Though most meditation practices increase the amount of slow brainwaves in the alpha and theta range, the gamma brainwave frequency increases as well. The gamma brainwave is what allows meditators to distinguish the alpha, and possibly the theta brainwave ranges. As you are able to gain more meditation experience, you’ll learn to naturally boost your gamma brainwave activity. Research has shown that the more experience you have with meditation, the more gamma brainwave activity you’ll display.
- Peak performers – Peak performers tend to have large amounts of gamma brainwave activity compared to others. Though alpha bursts in the left hemisphere has been scientifically proven to be linked to peak performance, gamma brainwave activity is suggested to be essential to performing at an optimal level. If you are interested in manipulating your brainwave patterns to help create a state of peak performance, you may want to try alpha and gamma and be the judge as to which one works better. I’ve heard of several brainwave training regimens that claim it is best to use 10 Hz alpha for visualization several hours before your sporting event, then the gamma brainwave around 30 min. – 1 hour before your event. The combination of alpha, followed by gamma, is supposed to create a state of peak mental preparation and performance.
Just like any of the other brainwave patterns, too much of a dominant rhythm can cause problems. By no means would it be recommended to increase a brainwave that you already have high levels of. Though it is extremely rare, it is possible that the gamma brainwave could cause a couple problems.
Problems associated with too many gamma brainwaves:
- Some anxiety – Though gamma brainwaves are usually not correlated with stress and anxiety, they can be. When a person mostly displays high amounts of beta brainwaves in combination with gamma on an E.E.G., the individual probably has very high levels of anxiety. Though gamma brainwaves usually decrease when we are under stress, the dopamine released from gamma brainwaves can actually cause us to feel overanxious, nervous, or tense. It is best not to increase both gamma and beta brainwaves at the same time. Depending on your current brainwave state, it is important to recognized that though you are usually safe with increasing gamma, overdoing training time or frequency of training may make you feel unpleasantly anxious.
- Clear, conscious perception of reality – Some people are not prepared for the mental awakening that is associated with gamma brainwaves. If you are currently living a fairly unfocused life and happen to begin entraining the gamma brainwave, it may feel like a huge jolt to your consciousness. If I was extremely unfocused, I’d definitely work on entraining the gamma brainwave, but I’d do it slowly and in moderation. Too much gamma entrainment will actually give you a headache! It is important to not become disturbed by your brains initial reactions to an increased gamma brainwave and perception of reality.
Healthy ways to increase gamma brainwaves:
- Brainwave entrainment - As I mention a lot, brainwave entrainment is great for fine tuning your state of consciousness and awareness. If you want to easily and naturally experience gamma brainwaves, I highly recommend trying any of the programs in my “recommended products” section. Brainwave entrainment is an easy process that involves simply listening to a tone (stimulus) and your brainwaves will automatically, naturally shift in order to match the desired frequency associated with the acoustic tone. If you have Neuro-Programmer 2 or Mind Stereo, I recommend creating a customized gamma brainwave session at 40 Hz. Why 40 Hz? 40 Hz is the brainwave of choice and has been linked to the most powerful, positive effects which are currently associated with the gamma brainwave.
- Getting a good night’s sleep – Gamma brainwave activity is present in Rapid-Eye Movement (R.E.M.) Sleep and is sometimes associated with dreaming. Getting a good night’s sleep is important for staying healthy, keeping a healthy, powerful brain. Gamma brainwaves also increase the moment we awaken. Though we are in the theta brainwave for most R.E.M. sleep, the gamma brainwave is present along with the theta. Most non-dream, deep sleep is linked to an increase in delta brainwave activity, whereas dream-sleep is mostly linked to gamma and theta brainwave activity.
- Meditation – The goal of most types of meditation is to lower the brainwaves into the alpha-theta brainwave range. With that said, as you learn to become more aware and increase awareness of your brainwave state, your gamma brainwave activity will naturally increase. A very safe, healthy way to attempt to increase your gamma brainwaves is to make the act of meditation a daily habit or start up a meditation routine. If you are already meditating, great – you’ll naturally increase your awareness. As you increase your awareness, your gamma brainwave will increase.
- Hypnosis / Self-hypnosis – The goal of all hypnosis and self-hypnosis programs is to target the lower brainwave ranges (i.e. alpha and theta) and implant new beliefs. Though you are slowing your brainwaves, your concentration levels are skyrocketing as well. Only having large amounts of alpha and theta without gamma would make self-hypnosis very difficult and an ineffective practice. The more often you participate in self-hypnosis, the more your gamma brainwave amplitude will increase.
- Yoga – Like meditation, yoga is yet another activity that promotes relaxation and wellbeing by shifting your brainwaves and increasing your perception of reality. Brainwaves of yogis have shown that they are able to increase their gamma brainwaves to higher than average amounts. Though there are many different types of yoga, if they are practiced correctly, they can be utilized to increase awareness and gain valuable insight from within.
Unhealthy ways to increase gamma brainwaves?
- There are no known unhealthy activities that increase gamma brainwaves
- Virtually all activities that are detrimental to mental health, decrease the amount of gamma brainwave activity in the brain – Things like general anesthesia, stress, and killing brain cells will decrease your brain’s natural production and amount of gamma brainwave activity. As gamma brainwave activity decreases, susceptibility to depression, stress, and unfocused or impulsive thinking may overtake the brain.
Final evaluation of gamma brainwaves:
I personally think that gamma brainwaves are very invigorating, reality enhancing, and great for everyone to experience. The advanced focus, learning ability, and perception of consciousness is something that everyone should experience. The gamma brainwave is a natural antidepressant and experiencing the power of 40 Hz feels awesome. However, you should be the judge as to whether or not increasing gamma is the brainwave you want to experiment with. If you are already experiencing many of the listed “benefits,” your gamma brainwave could be within it’s healthiest range.
Are you already a very smart, compassionate person? If so, chances are high that your brain could be naturally producing a fair amount of gamma brainwave activity. However, most people do not experience large amounts of the gamma brainwave unless they are in a state of compassion meditation. If you think you are one of the rare people that actually have too much of a conscious perception of reality and are slightly anxious, you may not want to increase your gamma brainwaves.
I highly recommend entraining the 40 Hz gamma brainwave to see how you react. Most people don’t produce large amounts of gamma naturally and most people can benefit. There is not much documented evidence that the gamma brainwave can even be entrained, but most people that I’ve talked to claim that it does have an effect. I have also given the 40 Hz gamma brainwave a shot and have found it to be extremely effective for increasing my focus. If you purchase Neuro-Programmer 2 Professional or any of my recommended brainwave products, you can create a customized 40 Hz gamma brainwave session or use a specialized one that’s already built into the library. The built-in gamma brainwave sessions are supposed to be great. I usually stick to creating my own gamma sessions with custom frequencies. If you are confused about your brainwave pattern, consider giving Neuro-Programmer 2 Professional some experimentation and seeing how your brain reacts and your reality is shifted.
If you’d like to experience Gamma brainwaves:
If you have ever given gamma brainwaves a shot, I’d really like to hear about your experience in the comments section. If you are interested in experiencing some gamma brainwaves or have any questions for me, feel free to send me a message through my contact form. I appreciate when you buy products through my referral ads to help me pay for blog hosting services and the promotion of this blog! Increasing your gamma brainwave pattern is definitely an experience that has potential to boost your brain power and take your brain to a higher level of functioning.